KEY 2020 PROGRAM DATES
Please note the following important dates for the (2019-) 2020 JOB PREP PROGRAM:
||Mon. November 11, 2019
|APPLICATION SUBMISSION BEGINS
||Tues, November 12, 2019
|APPLICATION SUBMISSION CLOSES
||Mon., January 20, 2019
|IN-PERSON ENROLLMENT MEETINGS (Required)
||START Mon., January 20, 2020 (by appointment)
|WEEKLY PROGRAMS BEGIN*
||Mon. February 3, 2020
|WEEKLY PROGRAMS CONCLUDE*
||Thurs. July 31, 2020
|"GRADUATION" CEREMONY (Participants and Families)
||Thurs. August 6, 2020
* Weekly programs (program participants assigned one night to attend) meet Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5-7PM (unless otherwise announced) at the Robert D. Love DOWNTOWN YMCA (402 N. Market Street, Wichita, KS 67202).
To be considered for the 2020 JOB PREP PROGRAM, all applicants MUST properly complete the pre-enrollment process on/before the deadlines outlined and it must be received and reviewed by Greater Wichita YMCA staff before the in-person enrollment meeting. See all relevant dates above.
- DOWNLOAD the 2020 Job Prep application (above or here)
- COMPLETE the application
- SUBMIT completed application, photocopies of IDs and references:
- 1 PHOTO ID (Drivers License, Kansas ID, or Student ID)
- 1 PROOF OF AGE (Birth Certificate or Social Security Card)
- SUBMIT financial information for each household income provider:
- 2 TAX RETURNS (2018 (2017 Earnings) and 2019 (2018 Earnings))
- MOST-RECENT PAY STUB(S) for all current employers and/or
- MONTHLY EARNINGS STATEMENT (Social Security, Unemployment, Public Assistance, Etc.) and/or
- KANSAS PAYMENT CENTER STATEMENT (Child Support)
- ATTEND The Enrollment Meeting at the Robert. D. Love DOWNTOWN YMCA
Questions? Contact TYRONE BAKER, Program Director for the Job Prep program at 316.776.8172 or by email.
A PARENT'S PERSPECTIVE
My daughter, Lydia, began the Job Prep Program after she had just turned 16 through the Greater Wichita YMCA during her spring semester - in anticipation of obtaining a summer job. As her mother, I can see a great growth in confidence that was especially supported through her training and work experiences. She had always been uncertain and shy until she became familiar with new situations. This experience has reinforced what Lydia had been told before and she has become much more enthusiastic and confident in working within unfamiliar settings through this Job Prep experience.
Although she has worked within the 4-H programs in the past, this has been very much a learning opportunity in her exposure to working with the public at several community centers here in Wichita. This job also helped her to understand how to satisfy meeting the different expectations of different recreational center pogroms.
As a teacher, I can say that the life skills taught within this Job Prep program are invaluable as many of your youth do not have adults in their lives to guide them in developing the skills necessary to know what to expect in a job interview, obtain a job besides understanding what questions to ask or how to satisfy expectation when starting a new job. This experience will ensure that regardless of what job is undertaken, these youth will take the knowledge learned and experiences had and become productive young members of our society; Able to work as leaders within our communities.
Thank you for giving my daughter the opportunity of working within the Job Prep Program.